I lost 3 inches on my waist in 3 weeks!! It’s true. I started the fitness challenge 3 weeks ago and came into it a lot more prepared than last year. This year I started out about where I started out last year, but I’ve already seen some decent results. I know it’s still early and I have a long way to go but I’m glad to see that I’ve lost 3 inches on my waist so far.
My waist started at 39 inches and (simple math) is now at 36 inches. The truth is I’m not looking to lose much more (if any at all), but I’m looking to transform everything from fat to muscle. So how did I lose 3 inches in 3 weeks… to keep it simple I’ll tell you the 3 main things that helped me.
2. Weight Training
3. Healthy Snacks
1. CARDIO: I’ve been doing more cardio in the past couple of weeks than I’ve done in the past couple of months. My go to… Indoor soccer and the treadmill/stair stepper.
Indoor Soccer: It’s so much fun!!! I’m lovin’ it! I play on a co-ed team on Monday nights. The games are about 50 minutes long with a running clock. It’s a great workout because it’s so fast paced and the ball is flying from one end to the other. If you have a indoor soccer arena in your area I encourage you to join a league or go in for some pick-up games.
I recommend being in a league because it holds you accountable. For example: This last week I was exhausted from an 8 hour work day, I ate a large (healthy) chicken burrito at 5:30 p.m., then napped til 7 p.m. before a game at 7:30 p.m. and still made it to the game because my team was counting on me. I really don’t think I would’ve been motivated enough to make it to a pick up game.
Treadmill/Stair Stepper: On the treadmill I’ve been walking for about 30 minutes at 3.0 to 3.5 mph which would be really easy but then I crank the incline to the max it will go (my treadmill is level 15). On the stair stepper I go for 30 minutes and put it at about the middle setting (10-12 out of 20) and do the fat burner program.
– Isn’t that way too easy??? On paper 30 minutes on the treadmill or stair stepper looks incredibly easy. That’s on paper. The truth is I’ve always found myself drenched in sweat by the end. If this is too easy for you increase the speed.
2. WEIGHT TRAINING: I have consistently been doing weight training 3 – 4 days per week.
I like to do something similar to the following:
Sunday: Chest and Bis
Thursday: Back and Tris
I definitely switch it up and make sure that I give myself enough time to rest.
3. HEALTHY SNACKS: Overall my nutrition has been AMAZING compared to my old eating habits. I really don’t stress too much about food and my main focus has just been eating 6 meals a day and only eating nutritious foods. I would talk more about my overall nutrition but my main point here is that my snacks have been a lot healthier.
Old snacking habits:
* Chips: I especially like flaming hot cheetos, and Tim’s Cascade Chips “Jalapeno Flavor”
* Fast food: Burger King, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut
New snacking habits:
* Smoothies: Frozen berries and greek yogurt, or peanut butter and bananas. I used to use a blender, but now I use a Magic Bullet since it’s so much easier to clean up and take on the go.
* Apples and healthy dips: Dips= honey, hummus, almond butter. Do you have any other ideas for what goes well with an apple???
– Apples I highly recommend:
1. Fuji apple
2. Golden Delicious
3. Granny Smith
I personally used to hate red apples until I got a fuji apple (highly recommended) and now I might like red more than green. My other go to apples are Granny Smith, and golden delicious.
I’m kind of a sucker for gadgets and I have to say I really recommend an apple slicer. It’s definitely really convenient and easy to prepare apples for snacks for later.
There you go! 3 simple ways that I lost 3 inches on my waist in 3 weeks. Please let me know if you have any great ideas or tips. I’m lookin’ to keep it simple.